77 Traffic Accidents in One Week: 2 Fatalities...
According to information provided by the Police Press Office, a total of 77 traffic accidents occurred throughout the country. These accidents resulted in 2 fatalities and 27 injuries.
According to the statement from the Police Press Office, speeding was the leading cause of these accidents, and the total estimated damage from the accidents amounted to nearly 5 million TL.
Out of the 77 accidents, 2 resulted in fatalities, 20 in injuries, and 55 in property damage. Two individuals lost their lives in the fatal accidents, while 27 people sustained injuries in accidents.
The causes of the accidents were listed as follows: speeding in 25 cases, careless driving in 20 cases, failure to stop at intersections in 13 cases, tailgating in 11 cases, and other factors in 8 cases.
The total damage amount was calculated as 4,926,055 TL, with 28 accidents occurring in Lefkoşa, 28 in Girne, 11 in Gazimağusa, 5 in Güzelyurt, and 5 in İskele.
Additionally, the police conducted traffic inspections across the country from September 11 to 17, where they checked a total of 11,354 drivers. Legal actions were initiated against 899 drivers who were found to have committed offenses.
The reported offenses of these drivers are as follows:
- Speeding: 320 cases
- Using a mobile phone while driving: 119 cases
- Driving without a valid license: 93 cases
- Disobeying traffic signs and signals: 66 cases
- Not wearing a seatbelt: 56 cases
- Driving without insurance or outside its coverage: 30 cases
- Driving under the influence of alcohol: 26 cases
- Reckless driving: 25 cases
- Driving without a valid vehicle inspection: 17 cases
- Operating a passenger transport vehicle without the required "T" license: 10 cases
- Dangerous driving: 8 cases
- Riding a motorcycle without a protective helmet: 8 cases
- Driving without a valid driver's license: 7 cases
- Disobeying traffic lights: 3 cases
- Overloading or transporting dangerous cargo: 1 case
- 110 other traffic violations.